Thursday, May 14, 2009

Strange Famous Last Words

Strange Famous Last Words

Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something. - Francisco ("Pancho") Villa 

I'll be in Hell before you start breakfast! - "Black Jack" Ketchum, notorious train robber 

Now, now, my good man, this is no time for making enemies. - Voltaire (attributed), when asked by a priest to renounce Satan

Get these fucking nuns away from me. - Norman Douglas

Don't worry...it's not loaded... - Terry Kath, rock musician in the band Chicago Transit Authority as he put the gun he was cleaning to his head and pulled the trigger.

Is someone hurt? - Robert F. Kennedy, to his wife directly after he was shot and seconds before he fell into a coma.

Die, my dear? Why that's the last thing I'll do! - Groucho Marx

Go on, get out! Last words are for fools who haven't said enough! - Karl Marx, asked by his housekeeper what his last words were

I have a terrific headache. - Franklin Delano Roosevelt, who died of a massive cerebral hemorrhage

I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring. - Richard Feynman

Drink to me! - Pablo Picasso

I have not told half of what I saw. - Marco Polo, Venetian traveller and writer

Since the day of my birth, my death began its walk. It is walking towards me, without hurrying. - Jean Cocteau

Dammit... Don't you dare ask God to help me. - Joan Crawford. This comment was directed towards her housekeeper who began to pray aloud.

Lord help my poor soul - Edgar Allan Poe

Thank God. I'm tired of being the funniest person in the room. - Del Close, improvisor, teacher and comedian, died 1999

I have tried so hard to do right. - Grover Cleveland, US President, died 1908

I don't have the passion anymore, and so remember, it's better to burn out than to fade away. Peace, Love, Empathy. Kurt Cobain. - Kurt Cobain (in his suicide note), Lead singer for American grunge band Nirvana, referencing a song by Neil Young.

In keeping with Channel 40's policy of bringing you the latest in blood and guts and in living color, you are going to see another first -- attempted suicide. - 30-year-old anchorwoman Christine Chubbuck, who, on July 15, 1974, during technical difficulties during a broadcast, said these words on-air before producing a revolver and shooting herself in the head. She was pronounced dead in hospital fourteen hours later.

It's very beautiful over there. - Thomas Edison

Now why did I do that? - General William Erskine, after he jumped from a window in Lisbon, Portugal in 1813. 


Don't worry, relax! - Rajiv Gandhi, Indian Prime Minister, to his security staff minutes before being killed by a suicide bomber attack.

No! I didn't come here to make a speech. I came here to die. - Crawford Goldsby, aka Cherokee Bill, when asked if he had anything to say before he was hanged.

I really need a therapist' - Christopher Grace, an actor who killed himself during a matinee performance of Greece

I know you've come to kill me. Shoot, you are only going to kill a man. - Che Guevara

I'm tired of fighting. - Harry Houdini

I see black light. - Victor Hugo

LSD, 100 kilograms I.M. - Aldous Huxley To his wife. She obliged and he was injected twice before his death.

Let me go to the Father's house - Pope John Paul II

I'm bored with it all. - Winston Churchill, before slipping into a coma and dying nine days later.

I know not what tomorrow will bring. - Fernando Pessoa, Portuguese poet

Jesus, I love you. Jesus, I love you. - Mother Teresa

Don't disturb my circles! - Archimedes

I hope the exit is joyful and hope never to return. - Frida Kahlo

Dear World, I am leaving you because I am bored. I feel I have lived long enough. I am leaving you with your worries in this sweet cesspool - good luck. (suicide note) - George Sanders, Actor

They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance. - General John Sedgwick, Union Commander in the U.S. Civil War, who was hit by sniper fire a few minutes after saying it.

Dying is easy, comedy is hard. - George Bernard Shaw

I'm losing. - Frank Sinatra

Crito, I owe a cock to Asclepius. Will you remember to pay the debt? - 
Socrates

My wallpaper and I are fighting a duel to the death. One or the other of us has to go. - Oscar Wilde

Alex Pepperberg's last words before he died were, "You be good. See you tomorrow. I love you." Alex was a 31 year old gray parrot. - New York Times, 9/11/07  

No comments: